What is the 16-19 Bursary?
The 16-19 Bursary Fund is designed to help and support any student who faces financial barriers to
participation in education, such as costs of transport, food or equipment.
There is further information on the Government website.
The 16-19 Bursary Fund is a limited fund and a panel will meet and consider applications and
prioritise allocation. There will be two priority groups:
- Nominated bursary
- Discretionary bursary
Students who believe they are eligible for any level of funding should complete an application form
and hand it to the Sixth Form Administration Office by the deadline of the beginning of October half
term Payments will be made on an “as needs” basis. Entitlement to meet the criteria is not a guarantee of
funding; our allocated funds are limited, so support will go to students who demonstrate greatest
How do I know if I am eligible?
The scheme is divided into two parts, Nominated and Discretionary:
1: Nominated Bursary
This bursary is up to £1,200 a year and awards can be made to:
- Young people aged 16 and 17 in care
- Care leavers aged 16, 17 and 18
- Young people aged 16, 17 and 18 who are in receipt of income support (for example, young
- people who are living independently of their parents; those whose parents have died and
- teenage parents)
- Disabled young people in receipt of Employment Support Allowance who are also in receipt of
- Disability Living Allowance