Welcome back to a new school year.
I am writing to inform you of 2 vacancies for the role of parent governor on the St Augustine’s Federated Schools governing body which is for both the primary school and the high school.
The role of the governing body
The federation governing body is responsible for providing confident and strategic leadership, and creating robust accountability, oversight and assurance for both school’s educational and financial performance. The governing body is passionate about education and committed to continuous school improvement to ensure that our vision for our children to be the best they can be is a reality.
The role of a parent governor
As a parent governor, you’ll work with the body to make sure it effectively carries out the duties referred to above. You’ll also play a vital role in bringing a parental perspective to the governing body, but you would not be there to speak ‘on behalf’ of the parent body.
To be a parent governor you should have:
- A strong commitment to the ethos and values of the federation
- A strong commitment to the role and to improving outcomes for children
- Good inter-personal skills, curiosity and a willingness to learn and develop new skills
- The specific skills required to make sure the governing board delivers effective governance
The governing board is keen for candidates to have skills in the following
- strategic leadership
- equality, diversity and inclusion
It is not essential for candidates to have these skills to apply and we are interested in a range of other skills
Expectations of governors
The role of governor is very important to the life of the federation and we expect, :
- Attendance at meetings – governors to make attending meetings a priority. There is a lot of notice given in advance of meeting dates.
- Maintaining confidentiality – you will be expected to maintain confidentiality
- Committing to training- in order to fulfil our vision of being our best we require governors to attend training(which is paid for) in order to carry out the role as effectively as possibly
- Visiting the school – schools visits are a crucial part of ensuring accountability and you will be advised on how to carry these visits out
- To complete their term of office – the term of office is usually 4 years
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for the role, please complete the candidate form attached to this letter and return to RAlmeida@stahigh.org or either school office by Wednesday 20th September. If we receive more applications than there are vacancies, a secret ballot will be carried out. We will inform you closer to the time if we have to do this.
If you have any queries about this process or would like to find out more about the role, please contact Fr Amos , Chair of Governors at or Eugene Moriarty, Head of Federation.